2014년 9월 26일 금요일

America is in the heart (chapter V)

AMERICA IS IN THE HEART - CHAPTER V

I don’t tend to spend my time to read books. Instead of reading I do watch movie and play games, because it stimulates my imagination. However, some books are different. When I have read those books I feel I am in that place. The little story, which is this weeks’ hand out, is kind of that book. 

The name of the book is “AMERICA IS IN THE HEART”, and I read Chapter V, which mostly describe the protagonist’s situation. In order to help the readers’ imagination, the author uses several elements of plot such as setting the protagonist’s background, which describes in very first paragraph, rising the problems, which encounter high class woman, and of course it has a climax part. I think the speaking of the woman is the climax part. She says “What are you looking at, poor woman?” If I were him, I would be very angry. Lastly In the paragraph9, the protagonist is changed. He discovers what is the middle classes in the Philippines and he decides to hate their arrogance and their contempt for the peasantry. 

When I read this short chapter, I like detail description of a young girl who seems to be a high class. The author portrays the woman who hold tiny silk umbrella, walk like a queen, and he call the woman “the beautiful creature.” Moreover, the author contrast the woman and his mother. I could vividly imagine how he feels difficult when I read this part. 

Perhaps, the climax part is important role in this chapter, because before the this part the protagonist was just struggle with the situation, however after the part the protagonist has been changed. He says “It is all right.” It makes the reader have to think, and the protagonist starts against the high classes. 

I don’t know yet how he will be changed in the future, but I hope he could change the gap between the classes. I guess firstly, he will overcome his conflict through various routes, and then he will change the society. In the essay “Superman and Me”, it also follow the same route. The author had suffered from classmates, but he had overcame this conflict, and then he became the teacher who can change the others’ lives. 

I realized that even short stories follow the rules such as having climax and describe the background information. Hopefully I can use those rules in my next essay. 

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기