2014년 10월 3일 금요일

Who Is “A foreigner”

Who Is “A foreigner”

  I do like to travel to other countries where I can meet new cultures and environments. Mostly when I visit other countries, I will probably look around famous places, such as Egyptian pyramids, Angkor Wat, Petra, and the Sydney Opera House. I remember that when I visited Petra, which is in Jordan, I couldn’t say any words, and I just shook my head, because I couldn’t believe what I saw. Perhaps, many people have had similar experiences. However, they are not always exciting. Sometimes we can feel uncomfortable in other cultures that are very different from our own.

  In early 19th century, America suffered with racism. The skin color of Americans, particularly those who were black, were discriminated against the dominate group. White didn’t accept others, who were different from them. They didn’t try to understand others, and just tried to keep their authority. Gradually, they were forgetting where they had come from. The black people would feel that they are foreigners who couldn’t fit into white society. I had a chance to watch, the film, “Number 42.” It is about the baseball player, Jackie Robinson. He was the first black baseball player. While I was watching the movie, I could understand about racism. Everything is separated including education, restrooms, and job positions. 

  Now I want to talk about nowadays. Many people say that we are living in a Global Age. I agree with this main idea. We can easily find other countries goods, food, and people around us. Also we should consider outside markets when we try to sell products. For example, when I was working at a game company, after finishing the developing level, we had to convert Korean to other countries languages. This meant covering to more than 10 countries. Global markets are already open. However, sometimes we are discriminated against based on races, money, religion, and culture. A few days ago, I watched the video about how people deal with rich people and homeless people. When a homeless person wore a suit that was given by staffs, but still crammed that he was poor, people gave him money easily, and listened his voice. However, when he reverted to his normal homeless dress, and tried to beg the money, most people just ignored him.

  I think that we are all “foreigners” who have different backgrounds, religion, and many other things, and we already know how it feels  when we become foreigners, and we already know how to deal with foreigners. We can not avoid or ignore them, because we are living in the Global Age. 

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기