2014년 10월 17일 금요일

Writing Techniques from "the letter"

Writing Techniques From "The Letter"

    A few days ago, I read “Letter from Birmingham Jail”, written by Martin Luther King JR. I had already known his achievements that inspired me somehow, but it was the first time to read his writing. His writing skills have such an elegance and have enough power that can attract my attention. I know his “Letter” includes so many writing techniques, but this time, I would like to write about his three writing skills, which is a personal connection with readers, repetition of key words, and having acknowledged opposing viewpoints.

    First, the author of “Letter From Birmingham Jail” tries to make a connection with readers throughout his letter. He appeals to the readers’ sympathy. If we are able to connect with his feelings and emotions, we will be easily persuaded with his main claims, because we can understand his difficult situations. For example, he assumes that if we have a six-year-old daughter, and we have to explain why she can’t go to a public amusement park that has just been advertised on television, and tears wells up in her eyes when she is told that Funtown is closed to colored children, what will we have to say to her? Perhaps, the readers shouldn’t answer these questions, but will understand his feelings and emotions. I could read many questions throughout his writing. Many of questions are not easy to answer, and it makes us think again.

    Another his writing technique is using repetitions of key words. When I read his letter, I circled the repeated words every single paragraph, then I realized that the circled words are almost key words in the each paragraph. For instance, brutality(brutal), postpone(wait, until), nonviolent, wait(waited, delayed), hope, “Now is the time”, extremist, “I have watched”, commend, and “If you were”. As you can see, we can guess with just repeated words what kind of letter it would be. I think this is very effective means of communication because it will remind the readers what the author wants to say.

    Also, I felt King had acknowledged the other viewpoints and opinions in a formal way. If we don’t know about other side’s ideas, we will not be able to acknowledge the other side. So, I think knowing the opposite side of viewpoints is an important part of writing a persuade essay. 

    Sometimes, I separate the books, whether those are having values that I need to read again and again, because some books give me advice when read again. Sooner or later, I should read this letter again. Perhaps I might find other valuable lessons. 

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기